Site Announcements

Migration has been completed however the main site is still not completely working.
The forums should be fine but let me know if any issues.

Help support AFLtcc by registering on Gimko Register Here

The Great Scanlens Debate

Discuss what you think about the retro set to be released

The Great Scanlens Debate

Postby absti3 » 29 Jan 2008, 16:48

Now months have passed since the Select Scanlens limited to 60 were released .There was initial excitement and some controversy involved but since then there hasnt been many for sale . How will this set be seen in 20 years i wonder will it be surpassed by another similar set with glossier cards? I personally like these cards and being so limited you would imagine they will increase in value over time. Bargains for such limited cards though can still be had even John has some currently for sale and all considered being so limited they are relatively cheap. I think these cards however will range still from $100 to about $300 but over time and due to many being kept in collections the price will steadily rise when one turns up. I think many that collect them will have the players from the team they support and in yrs to come maybe hand down to their children and childrens children in a 2 card set. Remember although not signed they are the first ever set with 2 combined companies logos and AFL licenced with some great players of all time in the set too. I dont think they can be compared to Archive set although some say that they surpass them dramatically in quality. The Archive although another terrific set is not limited anywhere near the extent these cards are. Due to how quickly they sold out would not be surprised to see another similar Scanlens/Select set surface in the coming yrs.
absti3
Recommended AFLtcc Trader

Re: The Great Scanlens Debate

Postby go_carlton2004 » 29 Jan 2008, 18:56

Well I hate Select Scanlens, they are of poor quality and you couldnt give them to me. They may be a limited number but they have so many quality issues I cant imagine too many people wanting to pay good money for them. Sure, there are 60 sets, of which maybe half could be split up by now, still, unless the cards are mint (cough, splutter) they really wont go up too much anytime soon. It would take 20 years for people to be happy enough to pay good money for them if they stayed in the condition they were originally sold in.

In 20 years time I doubt Select will even exist, so that might help it sell, ie No Scanlens and No Select. Think we would have more chance of seeing Scanlens create new cards than we would have of Select remaining in business if they dont start concentrating on what it is they are producing and ensuring that they do not continually bite the hand that feeds it.

The cards they produce are inferior in many ways to the Archive sets just released. Certainly Archives are not as limited, but I know which one I would prefer to have a set of simply for the quality of the collection (that includes the Photographic Series they are simply brilliant!).

At least if Select releases another set of Scanlens I wont have to bother going in the "ballot" because I wouldnt touch them unless they change the quality dramatically - maybe the Archives can print them - least then they would be worth having!
go_carlton2004
AFLtcc HOF Legend

Postby absti3 » 29 Jan 2008, 19:21

:lol: :lol: You love them :lol: I think Select will be around for a while yet not sure about 20 yrs. What i will say though is that without competition do Select have to go that extra mile and keep on improving ie quality issues etc
absti3

Postby go_carlton2004 » 29 Jan 2008, 19:41

That is an interesting question and the answer to it depends on what they would like to achieve.

If they are just after a quick buck, then I guess why not offer inferior products afterall as you say there isnt any real competition. However if they have a long term plan for the company, ie to be around in decades to come , then I think building their brand now on quality and respect to its consumers is paramount. If in years to come another player enters the Card arena as it stands now, who is going to be loyal to Select and for what reason?

Maybe they will just collect the cards because they are there to be collected. But what if they did all the hard work now while they have the monopoly and build the consumers trust, offer higher quality cards and continue to improve their brand. Surely then they would be afforded a much better opportunity to co-exist in the marketplace, they would have something that the other players would need to develop, that would put the competitors behind the eight ball and offer the company a much stronger chance of staying in business and being profitable.

Select it would appear has a narrow view of the card making business, ie get it cheap and sell it high (some may argue thats all any business wants to do). Sure that works for now, but if the cheaper production leads to an inferior product, then if and surely when, another player enters the market with a different set of goals they will be wiped out in no time.
go_carlton2004
AFLtcc HOF Legend

Postby absti3 » 29 Jan 2008, 19:50

Well footy fans in general have no option but to buy Select or Teamcoach which r different in my view as its a game. But with a competitor in a similar vein Select would need to start to become more diverse in their product range.
absti3

Postby go_carlton2004 » 29 Jan 2008, 20:05

Yeah, thats just a knee jerk reaction. They have the chance now to secure their future, all they need to do is look at their current practices and investigate what changes could be made to improve their overall product and hense their brand.

The AFL are continually looking at ways to develop their brand through out not just the country but the world. I doubt they will continue to "miss out" on the additional revenue that another card company would offer them. Eventually it will happen and when it does Select will need to be prepared, if the attitude remains as it appears to be now, then they will have bought about their own demise.
go_carlton2004
AFLtcc HOF Legend

Postby collingwood » 30 Jan 2008, 06:25

As far as loyalty to a particular company goes, I don't have any, and I don't think the majority of collectors would either. Loyalty to the product is another matter entirely, and this is one of the reasons why they continue to remain in business. A person might resent the company and its product, but as long as disgruntled customers still have loyalty to the product and keep buying the cards, what does the company care? The question is how long will it be before people get so fed up they turn away from the product?

I think it's already happening.

It gets down to the simple fact there are very few companies able to legitimately supply AFL cards in Australia, and I agree, those who do hold licenses to produce cards need to remain interesting and current for them to stay viable.

From what I've seen and heard over the past 12 months I think there really needs to be a shake up and a good look at the internal business structure and business plan.
collingwood

Postby absti3 » 30 Jan 2008, 07:54

For that to occur i really believe there needs to be competition and there is to some extent in series 1. You would have to say at the price for a box and the amount of inserts and the fact sellers were doing well from what i hear on them that series 1 was a success. Series 2 i would say wasnt as successful i think part due to lack of 1/72s but i am unsure of sales and maybe due to lower sale price they may have bettered the previous Supremes. I personally have no problem with Select cards but another producer not just teamcoach would most likely benefit everyone. TC i would say is a competitor to some degree for series 1 even though they are not similar types of cards imo . A real competitor to Select would produce similar model cards , not gaming cards, and also introduce new ideas to the industry.
As long as Footy is popular all cards will sell well.
absti3

Postby go_carlton2004 » 31 Jan 2008, 10:52

I do not think you can easily seperate company loyalty and product loyalty. A consumer’s view of a company exists from the products or services to which they offer and the way in which they treat the consumer, ie customer service, loyalty programs etc. A brand does not just include its name or logo; it also includes expectations by consumers associated with their product or service. Therefore, if Select worked on improving their brand this also means improving the products to which they offer.

There has been lots of research on consumer habits that point to consumers willing to pay more for a product when offered by a company they have a higher opinion of. That opinion or belief is held by the consumer based on the company brand, ie their image in the marketplace (which includes the products they offer).

Select tried this by releasing a higher priced item, ie the Scanlens Retro series, knowing that the Scanlens name would mean that consumers would be willing to part with more money for the product. Unfortunately what they failed to do was improve the product to match that price. I for one think that shows Selects cavalier attitude towards its own branding and contempt for the consumers who ultimately paid the price.

These cards should have showcased Selects ability to produce high end products. Instead the product lacked any improvements and was faced with similar issues to their standard releases. Add to this the entire “ballot” debacle and Select in my eyes have not only missed an opportunity to grow their brand but have in fact tarnished it even further.

Select; to me anyway, do not have any respect for its consumers, or even any respect to the industry to which they are a major player in this country. Therefore, I believe that if another player came into the marketplace they would, assuming the other company brand was stronger (products offered, service given etc) be wiped out of the industry very quickly.

I doubt Select have a long-term goal, as I am yet to see a mission or vision statement from the company. If they did have one, it would at least be an indication to what the company values are and what they are trying to achieve. Obviously they need to make a profit, but from where I am standing the profit comes from offering inferior products in a monopoly created by licencing.

Consumers at this point do not have a great deal of choice. In the end, if the consumer becomes so disenchanted by the product and service the company offers, then the consumer may in time, simply turn away from them altogether.
go_carlton2004
AFLtcc HOF Legend

Postby absti3 » 31 Jan 2008, 20:23

I just cant see that happening unless another company started producing cards in packs. I know i will be getting them :lol: :D .I will say though for the money the presentation of the Select Scanlens was very poor in fact there wasnt any. Maybe they did rush them out to counter another set namely the Archive set. I really like the Scanlens/Select cards though and the fact they are so limited. But now that there is competition for limited higher end sets maybe we will now see an improvement in this area from Select as my sources tell me the archives are A beautiful card and a must for all collectors of Footy cards.
absti3

Postby jcrennan » 01 Feb 2008, 12:24

I think Select has always lacked in their presentation of items and extras, the Scanlens set showed this with the cards only arriving in top loaders, no folder etc, or maybe they could of had them graded by someone like beckett and sent in the protective cases so they cant be damaged. Even little things with the Scanlens set like no tax invoice.

But I really felt that the folder presentation is vital for EXTREMELY highend sets like the Select Scanlens set. And this is where the Scanlens archives showed how this should be done.

I cant agree that Select rushed this set out because of the Scanlens Archive set because they have had these cards since 2003 so they have had 4 years to produce a folder for them.

They could of even put them into the collector albums they had produced earlier this year and got someone to gold stamp onto the 2003 Scanlens set.

maybe I am just fussing and picky
John Crennan
AFLtcc Moderator

Follow AFLtcc on Facebook
Click here and check out eBay items for sale for (afltcc)
Buying or trading for the following Ted Whitten cards
1996 Select Centenary Commemorative Card
1996 Select Platinum HOF Team of the Century or Legend
2009 Select Champions Case Card
jcrennan
AFLtcc CEO (Site Admin)
AFLtcc CEO (Site Admin)

Postby go_carlton2004 » 01 Feb 2008, 12:40

I think that paying a 2750 for a set of 32 cards allows for you to have higher expectations.

Scanlens Archives certainly ensured that the product they offered met those expectations - it actually exceeded mine! - and I know I am fussy! :mrgreen:
go_carlton2004
AFLtcc HOF Legend

Postby absti3 » 02 Feb 2008, 16:47

In 20 years which cards will be more sort after i wonder presentation and quality versus rarity and uniqueness. Imo they will both be highly sort after but i still have a sense people will be saying do u have a Scanlens Select 2003 like we do now with 1963 Scanlens. Eventually u wont see them at all maybe the odd pair. The 1966 Scanlens will too be sort after but due to their much greater number they may not be looked upon with as much fanfare, but we will have to wait and see .The 66s r bloody nice , lets be honest. If u sat a 66 next to a Select/Scanlens and didnt know anything about the cards i would say the vast majority would pick the 66s. 2007 however could be the yr the high end market started as we have had 2 sets in one yr. Whats to come this yr?
absti3

Postby richo01 » 02 Feb 2008, 17:39

Everyone should take it easy on the quality of the Scanlens/Select retro cards. Like, they aren't called RETRO for no reason. And they are made in 2003 So they didnt have the printing technology back then like they do now. :lol:
richo01

Postby absti3 » 02 Feb 2008, 18:01

I really like them Richo but compared to the 66s the quality isnt as good, but i cant remember seeing a card of that quality for a while
absti3

Postby absti3 » 02 Feb 2008, 22:44

One of the best Card sets Select have ever made are the Captains , they r beauties :D Series 1 and 2
absti3

Postby adz2332 » 07 Apr 2008, 13:40

Ive only seen one close up but i liked the game breaker cards, the ones with the piece of gurnsey... eg tarrent, brown.
adz2332
AFLtcc HOF member

Postby absti3 » 07 Apr 2008, 14:15

The guernsey ones r ok but i bought 1 once and returned it as they can get creases in the card as they r so thick. You need to see these in your hand before buying or ask about any creases as they r prone to this
absti3

Postby adz2332 » 07 Apr 2008, 14:19

ahhh i see!! makes sense...
actually on the thicker cards... i think the cards from select need to be thicker. need to have a more ummm expensive feel to them...
adz2332
AFLtcc HOF member

Postby absti3 » 07 Apr 2008, 14:47

Series 2 have thicker stock normally , and before the champions and tradition series 1 had pretty thick stock cards too. But they have decided to market series 1 at the kids with more inserts and thinner stock. It also means young kids can collect at an affordable price. Where as series 2 is for the hobby collector thicker stock more expensive chase cards, wonder what series 2 will have this yr surely the Brownlow card will be back, or at least a 1/72 series.
absti3

Return to 2003 Scanlens Retro Set