Site Announcements

Migration has been completed however the main site is still not completely working.
The forums should be fine but let me know if any issues.

Help support AFLtcc by registering on Gimko Register Here

Issues regarding Smith Chips Tazos'

This forum is for discussion on the 2007 Smiths Chips Tazos

Issues regarding Smith Chips Tazos'

Postby jcrennan » 07 Aug 2007, 20:53

Below are details of communication between myself and Smith/Pepsi Co after an email from a group member highlighting these issues

My recent contact email with them.
-------
To whom it may concern

I run the AFL trading card collecting group which is a website dedicated to assist collector of all types of AFL memorabilia. The reason that I am writting to you is in regards to the 2007 Smiths Chips Tazo and in particular the AFL release. Many members of the group and also I have seen myself is that your signature Tazo's seem to be turning up constantly with the same people. i.e. for example a Trading card shop in S.A. having well over 30 of the signature tazos. Also on eBay it seems that the same people are the only ones selling the Signature tazos. See details below....

The username is ********* ... he/she currently has selling signature tazos... and has sold many other in the past 90 days -

details supressed for forum as I dont want to advertise and increase their sales
John Crennan
AFLtcc Moderator

Follow AFLtcc on Facebook
Click here and check out eBay items for sale for (afltcc)
Buying or trading for the following Ted Whitten cards
1996 Select Centenary Commemorative Card
1996 Select Platinum HOF Team of the Century or Legend
2009 Select Champions Case Card
jcrennan
AFLtcc CEO (Site Admin)
AFLtcc CEO (Site Admin)

Postby jcrennan » 07 Aug 2007, 20:54

Smith/Pepsi Co ran me and below is the email I returned to the group member who highlighted the details to me.

---------------

Finally got hold of Smiths/Pepsi Co Marketing section that is looking after the Tazos and had a reasonably long discussion with them about the signatures and also the release of the other tazos through unknown channels. Although not all together happy with their responses which were mostly political answers I could read a lot into what he was saying and they were unaware of the signature tazos appearing in large quantities in select locations (sellers).

Basically he was giving me the run down of their security of the autos however by the time he finished talking to me I dont think he even believed it himself. I realised that they cannot come out and say that they got out via other means as they could have many legal issues with collectors and the AFL. He did let it slip to say there was about 20 signed tazos per player (not 10 as we all thought). I gave him a run down of what I have heard and seen and he will be taking all this back to the marketing group and re-evaluating the process of the signature tazos and the security on them next year if they do them will be lifted and ensured that they do get into packs.

He can confirm that many did go into packs as he has had emails/letters from VERY happy collectors that thanked them after finding them in packs.

I also gave him a run down of collectors thoughts about the Tazos and how widely they are spread and discussed the marketing plan with AFL and NRL through various regions, he was very keen to hear the good and bad feedback that I gave him and has thank us for passing the info onto them.

As for the release of the Gold tazos early on eBay and the sellers with a large number of the available he did give away a few areas this may have occurred when discuss other topics. One area was a third party who runs the website where you buy the folder and you can also buy the Tazo's I feel this could of been one of the major places where the tazos got out from, also if they had access to the tazos they may have also had access to the signature Tazos.

He did also confirm that the albums where originally going to be available through some sort of box promotion but in the end they went with the direct sales and that they actually ran out of the NRL folders at one stage and then said they didnt re-do more but wasnt sure how they 3rd party selling them suddenly have more available now.

After a good chat with them I feel they are much more aware of the market of the tazos through eBay and shops and will be more than interested if more information becomes available.

Thanks again for passing the details onto me, unfortunately this year it looks like the people who got them through the wrong means have got away with it but we can hope future years will be better
John Crennan
AFLtcc Moderator

Follow AFLtcc on Facebook
Click here and check out eBay items for sale for (afltcc)
Buying or trading for the following Ted Whitten cards
1996 Select Centenary Commemorative Card
1996 Select Platinum HOF Team of the Century or Legend
2009 Select Champions Case Card
jcrennan
AFLtcc CEO (Site Admin)
AFLtcc CEO (Site Admin)

Postby go_carlton2004 » 07 Aug 2007, 21:10

I am glad to hear that you were able to talk to someone about this, as the issue is a big one. Lets hope that the details you provided them has helped them understand the issues that occured this year, and next year we might all feel more confident in spending our hard earned on boxes and boxes of chips.
go_carlton2004
AFLtcc HOF Legend

Postby absti3 » 07 Aug 2007, 21:15

Thanks John for the info
absti3
Recommended AFLtcc Trader

Postby collingwood » 07 Aug 2007, 21:32

Good work John, I think you'll make a difference for next year.
collingwood

Postby Bonecrusher » 16 Aug 2007, 16:46

Can't even buy a pack now in the supermarkets :cry:
Bonecrusher
AFLtcc HOF member

Re: Issues regarding Smith Chips Tazos'

Postby go_carlton2004 » 16 Jan 2008, 18:59

If someone wants to see what happened to the Smith Chips tazos one might check out eBay and type/copy this: " AFL 2007 - 3, 500 Tazos " ... notice the packaging ... states that they are IMPORTED by Smiths Chips and exported by Suzhou Glory Innovations Co Ltd. For 350 BIN a carton of classics its 10 cents each.

Notice the location of the seller and I think our eariler suggestions stand true.

I for one hope they never release any more! - not even an Australian Product by the looks of it!
go_carlton2004
AFLtcc HOF Legend

Postby tigers2008 » 30 Mar 2008, 23:34

i managed to complete my set but it took lots of time and money spent on ebay to get there
tigers2008
AFLtcc Rising Star

Postby dannyboy4 » 30 Jun 2009, 23:02

i dont like them cause they stink when thet get out
D.Huntington
dannyboy4
AFLtcc Rising Star

Postby BorderMailSpecial » 07 Jul 2009, 07:20

That's what I reckon about Frenchmen.
They're not real sausages!!