Site Announcements

Migration has been completed however the main site is still not completely working.
The forums should be fine but let me know if any issues.

Help support AFLtcc by registering on Gimko Register Here

1994 Select Gold Error Cards

General Chat topics about Select Australia

Re: 1994 Select Gold Error Cards

Postby cardheaven » 31 May 2014, 16:48

to be honest, cant really recall many of the suggestions, more remember how disappointed we were to hear which subsets were decided upon at the time.

Given how dominate & proflific NBA cards had been at the time, I'm sure we suggested blantantly plagiarising a 'Rookie Sensation' type set for them.

I know that the AFLPA Most Valuable Player cards that appear in the 1995 AFL Sensation Box Set were one of ours, though I cant claim responsibility for the magnificent Carey gold plated insert. I do however still have the Ablett prototype of that card...
Everything old is new again, except me.
cardheaven
AFLtcc Rising Star

Postby rainz » 31 May 2014, 18:14

cardheaven wrote:to be honest, cant really recall many of the suggestions, more remember how disappointed we were to hear which subsets were decided upon at the time.

Given how dominate & proflific NBA cards had been at the time, I'm sure we suggested blantantly plagiarising a 'Rookie Sensation' type set for them.

I know that the AFLPA Most Valuable Player cards that appear in the 1995 AFL Sensation Box Set were one of ours, though I cant claim responsibility for the magnificent Carey gold plated insert. I do however still have the Ablett prototype of that card...

wow.
any chance of a pic of the ablett?
always wanted to see one. and if i won tattslotto maybe own one. lol
Wantlist http://www.afltcc.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=168&t=15343

EUREKA SPORTS CARDS FACEBOOK PAGE

[url]http://www.gimko.com.au/stores/rainz-cards-and-collectibles/[/url]
rainz
Recommended AFLtcc Trader

Postby plowatronic » 31 May 2014, 18:37

How many of those Ablett's were made cardheaven?
Do you know who has them?
And one final question.....what's your address mate? :wink: 8) :lol: :mrgreen:
plowatronic
Second Year star

Postby cardheaven » 31 May 2014, 19:24

The Ablett is numbered of 10. They made them as a test run prior to Carey being named the MVP in 1994.

Grant Copley gave it to me for running their Select stall at the AFL Sensation Exhibition.

I knew of one other guy who ended up with one after badgering Grant for quite some time years later.

Was told that Gary himself was given number 5/10, and someone on the other forum verified this saying they saw it in Gary Jnr's hands at a card show many years ago. Recall that in those years the AFL's marketing dept was sent a number of each item Select produced, and that they did receive several of these ones. Have no idea what happened to those, or who's hands they finished in.
There was a post on OZT some years ago where somebody else put up a picture of one, and some suggestion it had been sold around that time. I have no idea whether thats the guy I knew or not, though I wouldnt be at all surprised if he had sold his.

This is the one I've got hidden away...

cardheaven
AFLtcc Rising Star

Postby cardheaven » 31 May 2014, 19:30

sorry to hijack your thread George!!
cardheaven
AFLtcc Rising Star

Postby rainz » 31 May 2014, 19:36

cardheaven wrote:The Ablett is numbered of 10. They made them as a test run prior to Carey being named the MVP in 1994.

Grant Copley gave it to me for running their Select stall at the AFL Sensation Exhibition.

I knew of one other guy who ended up with one after badgering Grant for quite some time years later.

Was told that Gary himself was given number 5/10, and someone on the other forum verified this saying they saw it in Gary Jnr's hands at a card show many years ago. Recall that in those years the AFL's marketing dept was sent a number of each item Select produced, and that they did receive several of these ones. Have no idea what happened to those, or who's hands they finished in.
There was a post on OZT some years ago where somebody else put up a picture of one, and some suggestion it had been sold around that time. I have no idea whether thats the guy I knew or not, though I wouldnt be at all surprised if he had sold his.

This is the one I've got hidden away...

that is the very best card I have ever seen.
I would give up nearly anything for that.
Wantlist http://www.afltcc.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=168&t=15343

EUREKA SPORTS CARDS FACEBOOK PAGE

[url]http://www.gimko.com.au/stores/rainz-cards-and-collectibles/[/url]
rainz

Postby plowatronic » 31 May 2014, 20:31

wockrog wrote:CardHeaven, can you answer me this, on the select website they have 2 variations on the 94 series. I contacted Select and they could not answer the question. I have heard that they released this series in bread packets and 1 variation they were a matt finish and the other a gloss. A member from here confirmed he had a version of each (matt/gloss) are you aware of any of this or is it all just hokum??

Hey wock, I remember the 1994 footy cards being in with Butttercup bread loaves. And yeah I reckon there was definitely a difference from the normal cards as they weren't as glossy. Buttercup had cricket cards with their bread around the same time too, either just before or after, can't remember which. I was always getting the Tim May card dammit! :lol:
plowatronic
Second Year star

Postby mannion » 31 May 2014, 20:44

Wow that's insane what would that be worth??
mannion
Premiership Player

Postby wockrog » 31 May 2014, 22:50

plowatronic wrote:
wockrog wrote:CardHeaven, can you answer me this, on the select website they have 2 variations on the 94 series. I contacted Select and they could not answer the question. I have heard that they released this series in bread packets and 1 variation they were a matt finish and the other a gloss. A member from here confirmed he had a version of each (matt/gloss) are you aware of any of this or is it all just hokum??

Hey wock, I remember the 1994 footy cards being in with Butttercup bread loaves. And yeah I reckon there was definitely a difference from the normal cards as they weren't as glossy. Buttercup had cricket cards with their bread around the same time too, either just before or after, can't remember which. I was always getting the Tim May card dammit! :lol:

Yeah Diablo14 has a Barry Stoneham one....speaking of the cricket cards in the bread I have a few here...no Tim Mays though :D
The 3 Golden Rules of life
1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.
3. The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.
wockrog
AFLtcc HOF Legend

Postby DemonDave » 01 Jun 2014, 00:25

I know this link is old, but wonder how many of those Ablett Golds Grant had to sell to afford this house initally! :shock:
http://www.propertyobserver.com.au/forw ... opley.html
Reckon he might've lined his flooring with cards rather than old newspapers before putting in new boards? :lol:
DemonDave

Postby m_zulian » 23 Aug 2015, 19:13

http://www.footycards.com.au/1999-1992/ ... cards.html
1994 gold error cards with no gold football
Dave from FootyCards confirmed there are three versions
8 more north select cards to go!
NORTH MELBOURNE PC WANTLIST
http://www.afltcc.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=15641
TRADE/WANTLIST
http://www.afltcc.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16593
m_zulian
Semi-Star player

Postby BLOWN8 » 24 Aug 2015, 20:56

I brought the Dunstall off Dave when he first released these a year or two back. Still need the error with football and lines in gold and name in yellow, pretty much the signature card without the signature. Been looking for awhile now and just cant find it. Plenty of times I have thought I could pick up a signature version with very faded sig cheap and just clean the signature off, but that's not really satisfying.
BLOWN8

Previous

Return to Select Australia