Site Announcements

Migration has been completed however the main site is still not completely working.
The forums should be fine but let me know if any issues.

Help support AFLtcc by registering on Gimko Register Here

Zeenut - Can anyone shed some light on what this series is?

This forum area is for conversations and information about Cigarette cards for the collectors of older cards. This covers cigarette cards, confectionary cards, and other advertisement cards. pre 1960.

Re: Zeenut - Can anyone shed some light on what this series

Postby Swampfox » 28 Nov 2011, 19:16

I find Panham an interesting choice for a Richmond Card although he did play , captain and coach at the Tigers

Far better known as a Collingwood Player(hence the jumper he is pictured in) and related to Ron and Lou Richards (all from a Greek background)

Hall of Famer and an often asked answer to the trivia question who was the first player to play 100 games of VFL Footy

Not sure on the relationship but there was a Charles Panham who also played at Collingwood before finishing his career at South Melbourne

Not sure what to make of these Cards yet as they cover as much range of people as an encyclopedia

Collectable hmm maybe
Swampfox
Recommended AFLtcc Trader

Postby collingwood » 29 Nov 2011, 19:14

Yes...interesting...I don't know if I like this very much...
collingwood

Postby jackdyer17 » 03 Dec 2011, 16:29

The ZeeNut 2011 'Art Series' cards were a steal if you were lucky enough to buy for less than $4- with free postage from the USA (I bought 13-cards for $49- with no other bids). I don't know the origin of these cards (the seller doesn't respond to questions), but I was more than happy with the service & quality for the price. The recent eBAY listing (different seller) for the (39) ZeeNut 'Game Series' cards featuring Richmond Tigers players was interesting. The US seller initially only listed the Richmond cards, but after the auction closed he listed 800+ other sports ZeeNut cards. I'd say that the seller knew exactly what he was doing to highlight the sale of the Richmond cards on their own. The seller claims to have had only one set and didn't advise where these cards originated from. An eBAY link for the Jack Dyer card follows...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/270861567253 ... 1497.l2649 --> ZeeNut 'Game Series' card - Jack Dyer
jackdyer17
Rookie

Postby wockrog » 03 Dec 2011, 16:35

good to hear, what did your Jezza sell for Jack?
The 3 Golden Rules of life
1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.
3. The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.
wockrog
AFLtcc HOF Legend

Postby jackdyer17 » 03 Dec 2011, 16:39

jackdyer17
Rookie

Postby richo01 » 03 Dec 2011, 16:44

I did a bit of research on that seller and noticed on his ebay feedback he bought a base set of 2011 infinity. Why would an american want to buy this set. hmmm...
richo01

Postby wockrog » 03 Dec 2011, 16:53

my Jezza was definately american letter was marked pheonix arizona
1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
wockrog
AFLtcc HOF Legend

Postby Past_Member » 03 Dec 2011, 16:58

richo01 wrote:I did a bit of research on that seller and noticed on his ebay feedback he bought a base set of 2011 infinity. Why would an american want to buy this set. hmmm...

So he can bring out a whole heap of zeenut current player cards. I think they look sh*t. The images are copied of old cigarette cards. How about we all bring out our own sets of copied cards and trade them. should do wonders for the industry.
Past_Member

Postby DemonDave » 03 Dec 2011, 18:13

Yeah this whole set smells of a backroom job, so who knows where they stop with what they bring out? I dont think the original ones listed will be worth much more than what they went for, as there is seemingly nothing stopping them reprinting a whole lot more on a whim.
The second release of Richmond cards clearly defined their agenda, theyre in it for a quick buck. Good luck to them I guess, if the market is there they will keep on doing it.
DemonDave

Postby jac4 » 07 Dec 2011, 18:17

I did a lot of research into these cards and over several days and i emailed 1 guy in the USA about how to get them and he suggested i ask another USA seller. So no answer at all. I did end up in a Baseball forum where some guys had mentioned between themselves that these are backyard jobs as Zeenuts are from way back in the 20's.

So my guess is they are being printed by someone(backyard) who has distributed them to friends for some quick cash and obviously some buyers are paying these guys for home printed cards. It obviously opens the door for future backyard jobs to hit the markets.
jac4
Just joined the Draft

Postby tigerlandmatt » 27 Dec 2011, 12:50

Noticed a heap more zee nut cards listed on ebay today...there is even a card for Richmond's first female life member Alice Wills...
tigerlandmatt
Second Year star

Postby jackdyer17 » 27 Dec 2011, 16:13

There have been some mixed reports about the recent release of ZeeNut football cards on this forum. The cards are certainly different, but I reckon the quality is ok. I collect cards of all Richmond Tigers coaches (all 38 of them) & Matthew Richardson (my favorite Tigers player of the modern era). Despite some concerns about the origin of these cards, I am happy to have added the following (15) ZeeNut cards to my collection:- Charlie Pannam, Dan Minogue, Frank ‘Checker’ Hughes, Jack Dyer x 2, Max Oppy, Des Rowe, Richard ‘Dick’ Harris, Jack Titus, Tom Hafey, Francis Bourke, Tony Jewell, Kevin Bartlett x 2 & Matthew Richardson. As is often the case, to obtain the above cards I’ve had to pay a premium to purchase the whole set ‘at a cost I’d rather not disclose’. I am presently selling the balance of the card series on eBAY ‘jackdyer17’ to recoup some funds. I am pleased to report that Damien Hardwick will be coaching the Tigers for many years to come. GO TIGERS! :D
jackdyer17
Rookie

Postby diablo14 » 06 Jan 2012, 09:21

DemonDave wrote:Yeah this whole set smells of a backroom job, so who knows where they stop with what they bring out? I dont think the original ones listed will be worth much more than what they went for, as there is seemingly nothing stopping them reprinting a whole lot more on a whim.
The second release of Richmond cards clearly defined their agenda, theyre in it for a quick buck. Good luck to them I guess, if the market is there they will keep on doing it.

They are definitely a basement job.

Check out this email.....

Dan, all the "Zeenut" cards that have been flooding eBay and other marketplaces are garbage. They are the "creations" of people sitting at computers "producing" cards themselves and their "cards" have no collectible value as they can simply produce more at any time.

True "Zee-Nut" or "Zeenut" cards were produced by a candy company in Northern California (US) from 1911-1938. The company went out of business shortly thereafter. They produced nearly 4,000 different baseball cards over that time span. As the company (Collins-McCarthy Candy Co.) no longer exists there is no real copyright protection so someone just siezed the name "Zeenut" and began making these "cards" out of their basement.

In closing, I wouldn't waste your money on them as I said they aren't actual collectibles as they were not produced with any product and there are also no royalties being paid to those being pictured, etc. Completely unlicensed product.

-Rhett Yeakley

If you've paid mega dollars for these, you've wasted your cash. They are barely worth the paper they are printed on.
1400 Geelong cards and counting...
diablo14
Semi-Star player

Postby SWINE » 06 Jan 2012, 10:59

Ouch for the guys that got them!
SWINE
Forums Support
Forums Support

Postby CardCruiser » 06 Jan 2012, 13:20

Didn't bother with any of those cards. Something felt wrong.
Money talks but inserts Sparkle

SCANLENS 1975-89 BUY/SELL/TRADE
DEALS/TRADES
Piemad10-Thread up
M Zulian- Pm sent re : trade building
TK-Trade on hold cards put aside
Arkman-Thread up
CardCruiser

Postby jackdyer17 » 09 Jan 2012, 22:20

My sale of (33) ZeeNut cards has returned an extraordinary $1,654- :D
jackdyer17
Rookie

Postby Past_Member » 09 Jan 2012, 23:21

Hmmmmm..........
Past_Member

Postby SWINE » 10 Jan 2012, 08:14

jackdyer17 wrote:My sale of (33) ZeeNut cards has returned an extraordinary $1,654- :D

Feel sorry for these uneducated buyers...
SWINE
Forums Support
Forums Support

Postby collingwood » 10 Jan 2012, 15:20

I'm not ashamed to admit I bought one and paid a bit over $30. I don't mind the card at all but can understand why it doesn't appeal to everyone. I did pay an inflated price compared with how much it would cost them to make, and although these people seem to be able to make them at a whim, I doubt we'll see too many of them in years to come once the market deflates, which it will. So I hold absolutely no regrets as they are not really coming through consistently.

I doubt I'll be chasing any more examples of these in future. There was a set of one-off Collingwood player raffle (oversize) cards froma few years ago that have been floating around. 150 cards in the set, only one card of each was produced. No-one will ever get a set of them. I'm happy to have a single example from that set knowing there's no point chasing them all - same with these Zeenut bootlegs for me. Nice to have an example, pointless getting the rest.
collingwood

Postby wockrog » 10 Jan 2012, 15:21

don't feel sorry for me I paid $3.99 for the Jezza and I have a feeling I can recoup that money if I choose to sell later on. Sorry Rhett (whoever that is) I think you are full of it, you have no understanding of the word "collector", people will collect a common stone if it looks pretty enough or is an odd shape so don't tell me they are worth nothing, to you they may be worth zilch but don't shove your values down my throat. If this person made a card of every Carlton player I would probably buy them all, who cares if they are licensed or not, or who gets royalties.
wockrog
AFLtcc HOF Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Cigarette / Confectionary Card Topics