Site Announcements

Migration has been completed however the main site is still not completely working.
The forums should be fine but let me know if any issues.

Help support AFLtcc by registering on Gimko Register Here

1906 Capstan Turn of the Century

This forum area is for conversations and information about Cigarette cards for the collectors of older cards. This covers cigarette cards, confectionary cards, and other advertisement cards. pre 1960.

1906 Capstan Turn of the Century

Postby drama5 » 05 Mar 2013, 17:35

Hey guys, my friend has brought out some old capstone cards from their cabinet and just was wondering if anyone had any info on them or knew what they are worth. The cards are from 1906 and are in the folder. There are two complete folders with roughly 100 cards each and has cards with footy players, cricket players, horses, photos of the monarchy etc

If anyone has any info on these it would be awesome

Cheers Daniel
drama5
Recommended AFLtcc Trader

Re: 1906 Capstan Turn of the Century

Postby collingwood » 05 Mar 2013, 19:54

Great lot of cards.

The footballers and cricketers would likely be the most valuable of them. Don't know a whole lot about these cards other than the footballers, so I'll talk about those ones only. They were produced by Wills and are not super rare.

If they are the Capstan team colours (blue cards on the front with the flag, with the different game rules on the back) then they're not uncommon and in VG-EX would be worth maybe $15 each.

If they're the player portraits (Past and Present Champions) then they're more valuable and depending on condition can sell for between $10 and $50 usually. If the back of the card has the Capstan 'pipe' picture instead of the usual back then they are more valuable. Probably $70-100 per card for the pipe backs if in VG-EX condition.
collingwood

Postby johnnytheboy1 » 01 May 2013, 15:44

The Past and Present Champions are the rarerst of the Will cards depending on condition i am missing one card a Sth.Melbourne player card 35 R.Casey. tHERE ARE pAST AND PRESENT CHAMPIONS UP FOR SALE AT Charles Leski Auction this month but the grade are not that good.
johnnytheboy1
Star Player

Postby drama5 » 30 May 2013, 16:40

Thanks for help guys, i tried having a look at the ones i have got but there are 100's and i have no idea what is what hahah could be rare or could be normal lol All i know is i have heaps of sth melbourne players, 4 melbourne, 4 essendon, 4 melbourne, 2 st kilda, 2 melbourne, 2 north melbourne, heaps of collingwood etc and they are all player portraits. Also have heaps of royal family picture ones and that sort of jazz. If you are desperatly after some give me a pm and i can attempt to see if i have it!
drama5

Return to Cigarette / Confectionary Card Topics