Site Announcements

Migration has been completed however the main site is still not completely working.
The forums should be fine but let me know if any issues.

Help support AFLtcc by registering on Gimko Register Here

Camberwell Antique Centre

This forum area is for conversations and information about Cigarette cards for the collectors of older cards. This covers cigarette cards, confectionary cards, and other advertisement cards. pre 1960.

Camberwell Antique Centre

Postby DemonDave » 12 Jun 2009, 12:32

For anyone who hasnt been there, this is a good place to fill in gaps in your collection, I managed to get some time to get down there yesterday, and scored these:

As well as quite a few other of the last cards I needed from lesser series such as Allens Flags and Magpie Rays, as well as one of the double-numbered Magpie Cigarette Portrait cards from 1922 (they printed 2 numbered 16, and I had never, ever seen the Melbourne one in the flesh, I was ecstatic to find this!).
DemonDave
Recommended AFLtcc Trader

Re: Camberwell Antique Centre

Postby johnnytheboy1 » 12 Jun 2009, 17:03

Hi demon DAVE

What prices where they asking for some of the cards there. What were the condition of the cards like. The Craig & Hales must have cost $100.00 or more.
I have not been there since 2002. so the prices must have gone up the good cards are usually kept under the counter i dont know about now. But you have bought some rare cards. Did you seen the followin cards there

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1912-Sniders-Abr ... 7C294%3A50
johnnytheboy1
Star Player

Postby collingwood » 12 Jun 2009, 19:33

Nice work Dave! Especially on that Licorice card - they're hard to find.

The prices are pretty expensive for quality, but where isn't these days.

The cards are kept under lock and key these days, and are watched over at all times when browsing, after a bunch of folders were swiped a couple of years ago. :( I've been told the story but don't think it'd be appropriate to share it.
collingwood

Postby DemonDave » 12 Jun 2009, 22:05

Johhny,
Yeah the prices are upwards of the top end of the scale for stuff like the Craig & Hales (paid I think $130 for that one above) and the condition is probably Exc. Its probably typical of their stock, you'll be paying good dollars but are getting cards in very nice condition (the 64 Scanlens was by far the worst of this lot but was reasonably priced to replace a cruddy one I already had. These cards always come up looking much worse in scans too), without the need for worrying about an auction or waiting until a fair.

There were about 3 or 4 more of the Licorice team colours, all in almost mint condition, they're as rare as hens teeth nowadays so couldnt pass the opportunity up. I know for certain they had a Hawks one for MH or any other hawks collectors looking to track one of these down, but cant remember the other teams as I lost focus when I saw mine.

As for Sniders Pennants, yes they had a few, cant remember how many to be honest as I dont need any of those so wasnt focussing on them. They have about 8 or 9 folders, and yes they're all kept under lock and key but the staff there are friendly (offered me a life saver from their stash as I worked my way through the folders and reminisced about footy the whole time).

DD
DemonDave

Postby absti3 » 13 Jun 2009, 00:09

Hey Demon Dave do they have any mint cards available?
Last edited by absti3 on 15 Jun 2009, 01:01, edited 1 time in total.
absti3

Postby Hird5 » 14 Jun 2009, 18:45

great finds demondave!
Hird5
Second Year star

Postby bulldogsfight » 14 Jun 2009, 19:52

these are Rick Milnes cards for sale
bulldogsfight
Second Year star

Postby johnnytheboy1 » 19 Jun 2009, 13:02

Can anyone else comment about the cards they bought from camberwell and are these cards worth buying to sell on ebay or just to keep as an investment,
johnnytheboy1
Star Player

Postby endo » 20 Jun 2009, 19:21

My view is that the early cigarette cards and confectionary cards in very good or excellent condition are the best investments in this field. These cards are rare and are sought after by serious collectors and anyone trying to complete collections of all cards issued for an individual team. Early cards (say pre 1970) have steadily increased in value over time.
endo
AFLtcc Rising Star

Postby johnnytheboy1 » 28 Jul 2009, 10:11

Has anyone been to camberwell antiques recently and if so can you show us some scans of what you got.
johnnytheboy1
Star Player

Postby absti3 » 28 Jul 2009, 14:02

Would love to get back into the old cards as I love the games history but too worried it will cost too much. Also after only mint cards from all eras so it stops me from buying most of the vintage cards.
absti3

Postby johnnytheboy1 » 06 Oct 2009, 17:05

Went to CAMBERWELL Antiques and looked through 9 Albums of cards you should have SEEN how expensive the cards
were $45 for the 1934 Allens cards, $175 dollars for Clarke ELLIS Cards $140 for an Easi oats cards craig & Hales were $120. ea.
The cheapes were the bdv cards & the wills Cards which were about $4 ea. Although the large 1933 cards were $15.
The GIant LIcorice card are the dearest i saw being $300 they were two Vfl clubs Preston & Sandringham SNIDERS & ABRAHAMS Cards
Picked up only 22 Football cards. Bought a CLARKE ELLIS Card see picture below.
DSCN3739.JPG

DSCN3740.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnnytheboy1
Star Player

Postby DemonDave » 06 Oct 2009, 18:05

Johnny nice get on the Clarke Ellis. They are priced at the higher end at Camberwell, but if you cant get to the fairs you just dont see these sort of cards around very often. A couple i got I couldve paid less for if I was patient but you just get the urge or need to have a particular card.
It does take quite some time to get through all the albums doesnt it? A veritable treasure trove of old cards! Also, thanks for the Sniders I bought off you on ebay, very happy with it!
DemonDave

Return to Cigarette / Confectionary Card Topics